Saturday, October 25, 2008

Annexe Art Gallery


The Emergency Festival

I went to The Annexe central market, to meet up with Pang an old friend actually. Now Pang writes for kakiseni.com an arts directory of sorts and is one of the directors for an art gallery at the Annexe. I've known this for quite some time but never really managed to go there and see. In fact, it was quite some years since I last stepped in Central Market (but more on that later).

Anyhow he did say that there was something going on. and that he'd be free afterwards. So ok la. I pergi la.. I was pleasantly surprised to see what was going on there. They were having the Emergency Festival there... a twelve day exhibition, theatre and artsy things about our 12 years of Emergency history. Darurat as the malays calls it.


It was enlightning to say the least, I learned new things about our nation. I say the first IC we had. There were even old men and women, first hand witnesses to that period of malaysian history. But I didnt get to learn much more. Hehehe as part of the whole experience, they had history guides that would take u on tour in groups....




I didnt get to learn much because Hazri came and pulled me away hehehehe. We went to Disko Darurat. Hahaha it was a dark space where Jerome Kurgan was spinning (spinning ke kalau music dlm laptop?) tunes from the bygone era.. STILL fucking good though. I loved it. It was a bit weird though.. I am so used to clubbin at La Queen with the poses and controlled movements and shakira/britney style dance moves.



That I (I wasnt really freaked out) was a bit taken back with the energy that they were dancing with. At first it was only a few weird people dancing strangely in the middle.. It was almost performance like.. But once you get used to it.. I was jiving along as well. Then I realized that hey... at places like this, venues like these, its about expressing oneself. Hence the reason they were dancing so weirdly. What you expect from the Art Crowd.. BUT HONEST TO GOD, IT WAS FUN. By the end of it, there were ALOT of people there... Guess what? I bumped into Chris (couldn't remember his name though) there. Chris is an ex skandal of my friend.. they didnt part too nicely and things were ackward between us.



I think the ackwardness still remains, coz I said hi and we talked abit. but I still get this aura of u know.. dont want to get close and shit.. Oh anyway bollocks to that. I think I will go more often and bring young malay gay boys along, no matter their complaints.

so that was it.. a long night of expressive dancing to the tune of the 70's and 10 minutes of education. HAHAHAHHAH


read about it on the star online here.






No comments: